African Sweet Potato and Spinach Soup
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp of grated fresh root ginger
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne
- 1 tbsp mild or medium curry paste
- 12oz (350g) peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 pint of passata
- 1/2 pint of vegetable stock
- 225g button mushrooms (or normal chopped mushrooms)
- 225 g spinach leaves
- 4 tbsps peanut butter
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Greek yoghurt
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger, cayenne and fry gently for 10 mins.
- Add curry paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, stir to coat and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add passata and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile heat one more tbsp of oil in frying pan; add mushrooms and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden and beginning to release juices.
- Add to the sweet potatoes, along with 225g of spinach leaves (roughly shredded) and cook for 5 more minutes until veg tender.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of stew juices with 4 tbsp of peanut butter to soften slightly, then stir back into pan.
- Add fresh coriander and serve with Greek yoghurt.
Number of portions: 4-6
Why is it eco-friendly?
A vegetarian dish. OK, it uses yoghurt so is dairy but you can leave that out.
I got this recipe from a friend.
Return to the main Big Green Recipe Book page