This recipe comes courtesy the folks at the Meadows Community Garden.
Butternut Squash Soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2tbsp butter, margarine or olive oil
- 2 onions
- 450 g butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 225g potatoes, cubed
- 1.2 litres water
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 120 ml cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes until soft and brownish.
- Blend until smooth the squash, potatoes and paprika in a blender or processor with some of the water and add the brownish onions.
- Bring to the boil. Turn off the heat, stir in the cream if using, cover the pan and leave it like that for about 20 minutes before you serve it.
- Add the chopped chives, salt and pepper, stir in just before serving and garnish with a few whole chives.
Why is it eco-friendly?
A really good way of reducing your carbon footprint is to grow your own vegetables if you can! If you don’t have your own space to do so then Edinburgh has a number of community gardens, including the one at The Meadows and another on Leith Links.