Green Filo Pie
Based on a Ligurian recipe by Anna del Conte.
• 600 -1000g seasonal greens – eg leeks, spinach, chard, courgettes, kale, green herbs – washed, drained and finely chopped
• 150g risotto rice
• 4 eggs
• 100-150ml olive oil
• Packet of filo pastry
• 150-200g cheese – eg feta, parmesan or cheddar – grated or crumbled
• Salt and pepper
1. Beat the eggs with most of the olive oil, add the rice, greens and cheese, salt and pepper and leave the pie filling to soak for a couple of hours or overnight
2 Oil and flour a large ovenproof dish and arrange the filo pastry so that it lines the dish, leaving a large overhang to fold back over the filling as if making a parcel.
3 Pour the pie filling into the pastry-lined dish and fold over the pastry sheets to seal. Brush the filo pastry sheets with a little oil.
4. Bake at 180 C for about an hour. Cover with foil if the top layers of filo start to burn
5. Cool the pie in the tin for a few minutes, then turn it upside down on to an oiled baking sheet. Put the upside down pie back in the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp the base.
6. Allow the pie to cool a little and then turn out. Eat hot, warm or cold.